Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Google Chrome seems good but..

As part of my 2009 revolutions, I have started trying out Google Chrome. Having been a Firefox fan, I have resisted the idea of trying a new browser, especially when it is still only in a beta stage. But things do change, just like I suddenly deciding to start blogging again. So after two days of using Chrome, here are my thoughts on this new browser. 

Good things about Chrome

  • It's much faster than Mozilla, especially when many tabs are open. This is especially evident on my Vista com with only 1 Gb RAM. I spend less time rotting away waiting for the browser to respond.
  • One action too many won't cause the whole application to crash. It is perhaps the best thing about Chrome. One faulty site won't result in the shutdown of the whole program, you just have to close the problematic tab and browse the others as per normal. 
  • The website that you are viewing covers almost the whole screen. It makes browsing much more neater and perhaps a bit more enjoyable. 
Bad things about Chrome

  • No add-ons. So there is no equivalent of a Reminder-fox or a Download-them-all for me. But it is forgivable and I am sure with their innovative team, this feature will definitely be there in the full version. 
  • And the worst thing about Chrome. There is no support for RSS feeds. Urghh. It's funny Google didn't realise its one of the more important things that a browser should have. Thats why I love Firefox, And even more wierd considering that they do display RSS feeds via Google Reader. Until this issue is fixed, Chrome has no chance of being the sole browser that I use. 
Someone please add RSS into Chrome. But not this way.


No comments:

Post a Comment